Category: United States
Questions? questions? Contact Devin: email@example.com (208) 885-7040 The Kyle Laughlin photographs were donated to University of Idaho Library Special Collections in February of 1985 by Marguerite Laughlin. It was processed and described in 1998 and 1999 by Karen Hertel. Kyle Laughlin (1905-1984) was a Moscow, Idaho resident and businessman for 56 years. He was born May 24, 1905 to Edward and Eva Laughlin in Ozark, Missouri. When Laughlin was about seven, the family moved to southeast Idaho where Kyle graduated from Ashton High School. He attended the University of Idaho and graduated in 1931 with a degree in teaching. In 1933, Kyle Laughlin married Marguerite Ward in Moscow. Marguerite was also a UI graduate and teacher.
ABOUT THE CAMP The Kooskia (pronounced KOOS-key) Internment Camp is an obscure and virtually forgotten World War II detention facility that was located in a remote area of north central Idaho, 30 miles from the town of Kooskia, and 6 miles east of the hamlet of Lowell, at Canyon Creek. The camp was administered by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) for the U.S. Department of Justice. It held men of Japanese ancestry who were termed "enemy aliens," even though most of them were long-time U.S. residents.
A collection of reports, studies, and documents published by the Intermountain Forest Tree Nutrition Cooperative (IFTNC), a research cooperative composed of public and private forestry organizations that is located administratively in the College of Natural Resources at the University of Idaho.
About Us The University of Idaho Library has grown from a single classroom located in the University Administration Building in 1892, to become the largest library in the state of Idaho. The University of Idaho library houses well over a million books and almost ten thousand periodical subscriptions, in print and online. It has served for over a century as an official regional depository of U.S. federal government publications, making almost two million government documents available to the public.
Edward John Iddings was the Dean of the College of Agriculture at UI from 1915 to 1946. These slides depict agricultural and university-related scenes from Idaho, as well as images from Iddings' travels.
Have you ever wondered what was said when cases were argued before the Idaho Supreme Court? Idaho Supreme Court briefs, transcripts and other documents have been preserved for future research. Beginning in 2010, the digital repository provides a searchable interface for discovery and utilization of appellate court documents. This collection will continue to grow in size and scope. RECORDS AND BRIEFS 1911 THROUGH 2009 Original briefs, transcripts and other documents from Idaho appellate cases are stored in both Boise and Moscow, Idaho. This database identifies the location of those documents. Search for these documents using docket number, litigant name, Idaho Reports citation or Pacific Reporter citation. To view the documents, you will need to travel to Boise or Moscow.
A collection of photographs by Robert E. Higgins, a professor of plant science at the University of Idaho from 1946 to 1999. During his lifetime, Professor Higgins’ photographs were accepted in over 70 juried international salons, and he had one-artist exhibitions in Idaho, Washington, and California. To see the photos on flickr, click here.
A digital collection comprised of historical photograhs and documents pertaining to the history of the University of Idaho, selected from several different collections held by the University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives. The images and documents span the years 1889 to 1975, documenting campus life at the University. To explore the collection by date or location, or to find out more about the collection, use the tabs above. Questions? questions? Contact Devin: firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 885-7040 The photographs from this collection come from a variety of individual collections held by the University of Idaho Library's Special Collections & Archives Department.
Questions? The Historical Gameday Program Covers Collection consists of about 150 program covers and corresponding metadata, covering the years 1908 to 1967 and including both home and away games. Covers can be browsed by place or date, using the Locations and Timeline tabs. Full programs can be browsed by request via a visit to the University of Idaho Library Special Collections & Archives department. The visual and creative skills that informed the creation of these covers demonstrate both the artistic and historical styles of their time periods. If you are interested in ordering a high resolution copy of one of these images, please contact Special Collections at email@example.com .
A digital collection comprised of historical photograhs and documents pertaining to the history of the Dworshak Dam, selected primarily from the collection of A. B. Curtis, former mayor of Orofino, Idaho. The images and documents span the years 1952 to 1972, documenting both the legislative history that led to the dam's construction and the construction itself. To explore the collection by date or location, or to find out more about the collection, use the tabs above. Questions? questions? Contact Devin: firstname.lastname@example.org (208) 885-7040 The Dworshak Dam Collection is a collection that is still under development.
The Columbia River Basin Project Begun with the construction of the Grand Coulee Dam in 1933, the Columbia River Basin Project is one of the largest, and most contentious, engineering projects ever completed in the American West. Franklin Roosevelt originally authorized the construction of the dam with the intention of diverting huge portions of the Columbia River to the fertile, though arid, Washington State Interior.??With the outbreak of World War II, however, irrigation initiatives were put on hold, and hydroelectric power became the dam's primary function. This change in use proved important historically.
Among the riches of the historical photograph collections of the University of Idaho Library is an oversize portfolio of eighty original Carleton E. Watkins photographs. Long considered lost, these photographs of the interior of the Anaconda Mines in Butte, Montana, were taken in 1890. They show early hard-rock mining techniques, equipment, and men deep underground.
About the Fires The spring of 1910 was ominously dry throughout Idaho, Washington, and Montana. In the Coeur d’Alene National Forest alone, U.S. Forest Service officials had been battling fires since early April. In July, a rainless electrical storm ignited even more blazes across the Northern Rockies. Bad as it was, conditions got worse. On August 20, a “Palouser” wind whipped through the forests, creating an inferno now known as the Big Burn. The fires took the lives of nearly 90 people, leveled entire communities, burned almost 3 million acres of timber, and set US Forest Service fire policy for the next 6 decades. ?? About the Collection These materials come from the University of Idaho Library's Special Collections and Archives department.
A digital collection comprised of over 1200 historical photograhs collected and/or taken by T.N. Barnard or Nellie Stockbridge. The images span the years 1894 to 1964, containing images of Northern Idaho (Wallace/Kellogg Area) mines, towns, fires, scenery, and historical sites. To explore the collection by date or location, or to find out more about the collection, use the tabs above. Questions? questions? Contact Devin: email@example.com (208) 885-7040 In 1964 the University of Idaho Library received a collection of over 200,000 nitrocellulose and glass plate negatives taken by Nellie Stockbridge and her predecessor and founder of the studio, Mr. T.N. Barnard.
Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station Bulletin Number 1, September 1892 About the Collection The History The diffusion of useful and practical, research-based information on agriculture and related subjects has been a primary responsibility of the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station and University of Idaho Extension since their beginnings. The University of Idaho Board of Regents established the Idaho Agricultural Experiment Station at the UI in 1892 following passage of the federal Hatch Act (1887), which provided for the creation of agricultural experiment stations at state land-grant colleges.
I nteractive N umeric & S patial I nformation D ata E ngine Non-georeferenced Scanned Historic Air Photos for Idaho The Historic Air Photo online mapping application provides a way to geospatially locate a selected set of non-georeferenced scanned historic air photos for Idaho contained in the Idaho aerial views database. It allows users to determine the flight year, the University of Idaho CD-ROM call number, and the image name for every fifth image along a given project flight line.
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS About the Collection University of Louisville students produced their first yearbook, The Colonel , in 1909. The Colonel apparently ceased publication after the 1912 edition, leaving a gap in the documentation of student life until 1922, when its successor, The Kentucky Cardinal , began monthly publication during the school year, with the June edition serving as a de facto yearbook. By 1924, the school year-end annual edition of The Kentucky Cardinal had been renamed The Thoroughbred , a title which lasted until 1972, despite a somewhat sporadic publishing record (no issues were produced in 1932, 1934-1938, 1943, 1945-1946, and 1970-1971).
This collection contains images relating to the University of Louisville and its history. It includes the "building book," an online encyclopedia of current and historical campus structures as well as images of faculty, administrators and students and campus activities and events.
The UofL Images collection includes photographs taken by a variety of staff photographers and student photojournalists. Two photographers are particularly well represented in this collection: Norris Mode and Steve Gruebbel.
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS About the Collection Since 2002 the University Libraries have been building a collection of color digital copies of theses and dissertations authored here at the University of Louisville. This effort is in keeping with an international trend of institutions migrating to electronic theses and dissertations (known as ETDs) in order to provide free worldwide access to these titles and to enable graduate students to include digital media in their works. Both the University of Louisville's Graduate School and J.B. Speed School of Engineering incorporated the utilization of digital technologies into their thesis and dissertation guidelines. In July 2006 the Speed School's guidelines were amended so that only an electronic copy will be submitted to the Ekstrom Library.
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS About Stereographs A stereograph, also known as a stereogram or stereo view, is a double photograph that appears three-dimensional when viewed through a stereoscope. Scientist Charles Wheatstone invented a reflecting stereoscope in 1838 as a laboratory instrument. Some photographers did use this instrument to exhibit photographs, but it was not until the development of the lenticular stereoscope in 1850 by Sir William Brewster that stereographs became popular. They reached their height of popularity between 1870 and 1890 but continued to be created until as late as 1940. The term "stereograph" is said to have originated with Oliver Wendell Holmes who, in addition to being an author, poet, physician, and lecturer, invented a hand stereoscope in 1859.
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS About the Collection The Royal Photo Company Collection contains 14,817 photographic negatives from the Royal Photo Company taken between 1937 and 1973 in and around Louisville, Kentucky. Most of the negatives are 8 x 10-inch safety negatives. Also included are approximately 180 photographic prints given to Aaron Chase by the Royal Photo Company. These prints are "before" and "after" images from the 1960s of buildings undergoing exterior renovations by the Louisville Perma Stone Company. Louis Bramson established the Royal Photo View Company in Louisville in 1904, but many of the glass negatives were apparently sold when the company moved to a new second-floor location on West Jefferson Street in 1937.