Category: Arts & Humanities, Architecture
Francis W. Little House Hallway at The Minneapolis Institute of Arts (Francis W. Little House Frank Lloyd Wright, 1913-15) Unified Vision tells the story of the Prairie School through the collection of The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, which includes a large group of furniture and other objects from Prairie School structures in Minnesota, Illinois, and Iowa. Featured architects include William Gray Purcell, George Grant Elmslie, Frank Lloyd Wright, and George Washington Maher. In addition, the collection includes an important Prairie School home, the Purcell-Cutts house, designed in 1913 by Purcell and Elmslie. This program offers a closer look at the Institute's objects and those who designed them, as well as an extensive tour of the Purcell-Cutts house.
Led by the State Library of Massachusetts, the Alexander Parris Digital Project digitized Parris material held in the State Library and the collections of six Boston repositories. The Boston Athenaeum; The Boston Public Library; Boston National Historical Park, Charlestown Navy Yard; Massachusetts General Hospital; Massachusetts Historical Society; and Historic New England (formerly Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities) all contributed documents to a searchable digital archive that contains images and transcriptions of more than four hundred items.
Marcel Breuer Architectural Drawings and Sketches Using the Collection The collection of 668 images can be accessed via the Library's CONTENTdm server and can be browsed as well as being fully searchable by keyword or project title / subject. About the Collection Breuer's drawings are of particular interest to students, scholars, and researchers because, contrary to what might have been expected, Breuer was self taught as an architect and received no technical training as an architectural draftsman. His first ambition as a student at the Bauhaus was to be a painter or a sculptor. As an artist he had a great facility for freehand drawing throughout his life.
The UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections has selected and digitized 5,746 of the more than three million images contained in the Los Angeles Times and Los Angeles Daily News photographic archives. The photographs chronicle the history and growth of Los Angeles from the 1920s to 1990.
This collection of digitized images is made available online by the UCLA Digital Library to assist a wide variety of researchers, including scholars, educators, students, writers, filmmakers, urban planners, community activists, librarians, and members of the general public.
S. Charles Lee (1899-1990) graduated from Technical College, Chicago in 1918 and the Armour Institute of Technology in 1921. He relocated to Los Angeles in 1922 where he designed numerous theaters and office buildings (1927-40), developed the Los Angeles International Industrial District (1948) and built several theaters in Mexico City (1942). The Collection contains drawings, renderings, blueprints, photographs, and surveys relating to Lee's professional career including his work as a developer and the most prolific architect of art deco movie palaces in Los Angeles.
Introduction The second half of the nineteenth century was a time of wealth, optimism and growth in Toronto. Architecturally, it was an era that would drastically change the appearance of Toronto forever. A small but dedicated number of architects would infuse Toronto’s landscape with a variety of structures, possibly, the most striking being the churches, with their soaring spires, ornate towers and other Gothic Revival attributes. This exhibition honours one of these architects, Henry Langley, and features the Toronto churches that he designed, built and completed. Henry Langley, 1836-1907, was born in Toronto. He obtained his architectural training by apprenticing for seven years with an established architect, Scottish-born, William Hay, 1818-1888.
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS About the Collection The Royal Photo Company Collection contains 14,817 photographic negatives from the Royal Photo Company taken between 1937 and 1973 in and around Louisville, Kentucky. Most of the negatives are 8 x 10-inch safety negatives. Also included are approximately 180 photographic prints given to Aaron Chase by the Royal Photo Company. These prints are "before" and "after" images from the 1960s of buildings undergoing exterior renovations by the Louisville Perma Stone Company. Louis Bramson established the Royal Photo View Company in Louisville in 1904, but many of the glass negatives were apparently sold when the company moved to a new second-floor location on West Jefferson Street in 1937.
DIGITAL COLLECTIONS About the Collection This digital collection celebrates the work of photographer Kate Seston Matthews (1870-1956). Born in New Albany, Indiana, Matthews spent most of her life in Pewee Valley, Kentucky, where she began taking photographs in the 1880s. Matthews relied almost exclusively on her own community and acquaintances as subjects -- a favor she returned by reproducing and signing her photographs for friends and family.
The Department of Special Collections at the University of Miami has significant holdings of rare and unusual books in the fields of Miami and Florida history, the Caribbean, and Latin and South America. These books cover topics of literature, geography, religion (and in particular missionary history), art, politics, and economics. This collection includes examples of early printing, private press publications, and fine printing. They are supplemented by a rich collection of historical maps, photographs, and archival documents. The personal library of Jackie Gleason focuses on the donor's lifelong interest in parapsychology and his career in television and film.
About FADIS FADIS (Fine Art Digital Imaging System) is a content management system designed for the teaching, studying and researching of art, architecture and visual culture. FADIS combines the digital management of electronic resources with a courseware system and provides an intuitive interface that reflects higher educational teaching needs. The goal of FADIS is the creation of a shared common repository amongst participating institutions. FADIS is currently free to any participating institution contributing content to the collection.
This web site features approximately 320 digitally rendered images from a collection of over 15,000 photographic prints held by the University Archives of Washington University in St. Louis. This web site consists of five sections, namely: that will be on exhibit in the Department of Special Collections in Olin Library at Washington University in St. Louis from 25 May to 31 July 2001. Last modified: August 3, 2001
Federal Designs: Symbolism Symbols are an important part of America`s design heritage. They establish and reinforce the national identity and patriotism. In some cases, American symbols are based on recognized associations. The ideals of Greek democracy, the power of Imperial Rome, or the refinements of European fashion frequently are reflected in Federal designs. At other times and for other purposes, designers created icons using images unique to this new country, to this new form of government, and to America`s aspirations to world power.
Note that Albert Einstein is standing to the left of the President. This group shot was taken by Fred Scut of Washington, DC, one of the most prolific of panoramic photographers. The print size is 38" x 10". Records of the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture (16-ES-485) The description was handwritten on the photograph by Mr. Brooks. It was taken by Thompson Photo of Venice, CA, and measures 46" x 10". Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (75-PA-3-7) The photographer and date are unknown. The dimensions of the print are 54" x 10".
more » Need more help? Browse subjects to find your area of interest. more » Need more help? Contact an expert in your area of study. more » Need help getting around? View D. H. Hill Library Map . Search books, articles, journals, & library website About the SCRC Introduction to the 1994 Architectural Records Survey This booklet is a survey of architectural records held in repositories, government agencies, architectural firms, and private collections throughout North Carolina. The aim of this survey is to begin to unite the scattered architectural collections across the state and to initiate the process for developing a statewide collection strategy and appraisal program for North Carolina architectural records.
Database selection The goal of this project is to catalog and digitize each of the 1,780 slides within the Claire Holt collection. Microsoft Excel was selected as the application most suited to cataloguing requirements. Image browser After researching options available for creating and maintaining a widely-accessible virtual collection, Luna Imagings In sight® browsing software was selected as the most appropriate way to present the Claire Holt images over the Internet.
About the Project This digital collection references the canonical works or “major moments” that have come to be regarded as important in the study of South Asian architectural traditions. Images of rites, festivals and customary practices enrich and clarify the material record and situate canonical architecture in broader understandings of landscape experience and artistic production. A sub collection of images from 89 Aiyanar temples in Tamil Nadu, South India is one special aspect of this database. It draws on Robert MacDougall’s unfinished study of a folk tradition. Another unique aspect of the database is a collection of images of domestic architecture and community life in Sri Lanka.
The Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections , Cornell University Library , is home to the Andrew Dickson White Architectural Photographs Collection of approximately 13,000 nineteenth- and early twentieth-century photographs of architecture, decorative arts and sculpture. White (1832-1918), the first president of Cornell University, established the collection by donating several thousand images from his personal architectural library.
About - Building Oregon Building Oregon: Architecture of Oregon and the Pacific Northwest provides approximately 20,000 images and documentation about the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest with special emphasis on Oregon’s historic sites and built environment. A significant number of images come from slides donated to the University of Oregon Libraries, including the collections of architectural historian Marion Dean Ross , preservationist Michael Shellenbarger, and architect C. Gilman Davis. As a result of continuing collaboration with the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office , many documents in the collection represent works listed on the National Register of Historic Places .
About the Collection To commemorate UWM's 50th anniversary, the UWM Libraries prepared a digital collection of photographs documenting the history of UWM and its predecessor institutions, the Wisconsin State College, Milwaukee (formerly the Milwaukee State Teachers College) and the University of Wisconsin Extension Center at Milwaukee. The digital collection assembles images physically located in three separate collections: the George M. Richard photographs of UWM collection (UWM Manuscript Collection 167); the UW-Milwaukee Photographs Collection (UWM Archival Collection 6); and the UWM Dept. of Theatre and Dance records (UWM Archival Collection 85). George M.
About the Collection Specializing in single-family residences, the Leenhouts firm was locally well known for its regional modernist style and utilization of passive solar technologies. It was in existence from 1945 to 1990. The digital collection includes over 80 drawings of 11 projects - a very small sample of the more than 6,000 drawings in the archival collection. Selected drawings demonstrate the range of projects undertaken by the firm - primarily residential, but also public buildings and urban development projects - rom the mid-1940s through the 1980s. Robin Leenhouts, daughter of Willis and Lillian, donated the bulk of the firm's archives to the UWM Libraries in December 2002 and September 2005.
NEH Grant Project: Saving and Sharing the AGS Library's Historic Nitrate Negative Images With generous support from the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), the American Geographical Society Library of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries (AGSL) has been able to institute a two-year, $315,000 grant project. Our NEH grant project "Saving and Sharing the AGS Library's Historic Nitrate Negative Images" began in May 2010. The scope of the project is to re-house, scan, create metadata for, and preserve on a long-term basis, the approximately 68,000 nitrate negatives in its photography collection. The ultimate goal of this effort is to provide universal access to this rich resource over the Internet.